Eligibility for Retakers
Taking the VTNE more than once
To retake the VTNE, candidates must submit a new VTNE online application and pay the full application fee. Click here for the How To Apply page.
It is the candidate’s responsibility to confirm that current eligibility documents have been submitted to the proper office and to be mindful of retake limits. Click here to review Eligibility for First Timers.
If an official transcript showing a graduation date has been received by AAVSB, it does not need to be sent again.
Taking the VTNE More Than Five Times
Unless otherwise determined by a state and province, AAVSB will permit candidates to take the VTNE five times (counting starts with exams taken after January 1, 2006). Candidates must apply to the AAVSB Board of Directors for approval to take the exam more than five times. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions and materials needed to apply for additional attempts (more than 5 attempts).
Some jurisdictions have lower testing limits than AAVSB, so be sure to know your state’s or province's exam attempt limit. Please contact your state or province by using the Board and Agency Directory for more information. In such cases, AAVSB will follow the state or province's policy.
Retake Policy for all VTNE Candidates
Please contact email@example.com for instructions and materials needed to apply for additional attempts (more than 5 attempts).
The complete VTNE Exam Administration policy is as follows:
1. The AAVSB Board of Directors reserves the right to determine how often the VTNE will be administered or made available for administration, taking into consideration its use in the licensure processes and the impact of applicable laws.
2. Examinees who fail the VTNE must wait at least 91 days before retaking the exam.
3. No examinees shall be allowed to sit for the VTNE more than 3 times during any one calendar year.
4. Examinees who have failed the VTNE 5 times and want to take the exam again must seek and be granted approval of the AAVSB before each administration thereafter.
5. The AAVSB Board of Directors shall adopt guidelines addressing the factors to be considered in addressing candidates under section 4 above which shall, at a minimum, include approval from the licensing board or certification entity, whichever is applicable, and all remedial measures undertaken by the candidate since the first administration.
6. The candidate shall have the burden of substantiating compliance with AAVSB policies adopted under section 5 above.
7. The AAVSB Board of Directors reserves the right to charge a reasonable administrative fee (in addition to customary application/examination fees) for candidates exercising rights under sections 4, 5, and 6 above.
8. The AAVSB Board of Directors reserves the right to deny candidates the right to sit for the VTNE, including the right to permanently deny such access.
9. The AAVSB Board of Directors reserves the right to modify this policy.
Some states and provinces have lower testing limits than AAVSB. Please contact your state or province for more information.
Apply for the examination using the regular VTNE online application on the VTNE How To Apply Page.
Before the Retake Request document deadline, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions and materials needed to apply for additional attempts (more than 5 attempts).
If the AAVSB Board of Directors is unable to approve your repeat testing request, AAVSB will refund the exam fee paid less a $50.00 processing fee.