Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE)
The Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) is owned and administered by the AAVSB. The VTNE is used to
evaluate entry-level veterinary technicians’ competency to practice and to be credentialed. The computer-based exam is given
in three testing windows a year and is constantly updated, reviewed and reevaluated by highly-qualified item writers so that it remains
a valid tool. Most states and provinces require a passing score on the VTNE as one criterion for credentialing. The AAVSB contracts
with the administering agencies to provide the exam. PSI is the exam vendor for examination development and administration services
regarding the VTNE. The exam is administered at PSI Testing Centers throughout the U.S. and Canada.
VTNE Application Latest News
- The application for the July/August 2017 VTNE is now open. The deadline to submit your
VTNE online application is June 15, 2017.
- Official Score Reports for the VTNE taken between March 15 and March 31, 2017 have been posted to
your MyAAVSB portal.
- Effective with the July/August 2017 VTNE application window, the exam fee is $315.
The AAVSB does not license, certify or register veterinary technicians.
The information provided is for the examination process only. Contact the state or province in which you would like to practice for more information on applying for a credential. Click here for a list of Regulated and Non-regulated Jurisdictions - updated April, 2017.
- If your state determines eligibility you will be directed to the state website. You will need to submit a state application by the state deadline.
- If the AAVSB determines your eligibility you will be directed to send your transcript to the AAVSB.
Don't forget to submit your VTNE application by the AAVSB deadline even if your state determines eligibility.
Check to see who determines your VTNE eligibility.
The VTNE Candidate Handbook is designed to be the main source of information for those applying/registering to take the VTNE.
All candidates are required to read the handbook.
Click here to access the VTNE Candidate Handbook.
Retake the VTNE
Information for candidates who have taken the VTNE at least one time.
Click here for information about retaking the VTNE.
To Cancel/Withdraw Application
The Application Process
Information about the exam
Transfer VTNE Score Report