strengthening the veterinary

regulatory community

VIVA - Frequently Asked Questions

Score transfers


Credentials Services


CA NAVLE Eligibility


Score transfers

Q. How long do score transfers take?

A. Score transfer requests can usually be processed in 3-5 business days. Some applications will require additional research to verify scores, which may delay processing time. Incomplete applications will also delay processing. You will receive a confirmation by email to notify you of when scores are sent; please allow several days for the board to receive your scores.
*Please note: Application deadlines and national exam administrations yield a higher volume of requests. Average wait time may be delayed during these peak times. Score transfers cannot be expedited to meet a deadline.

Q. I just took the NAVLE/received my scores and want to transfer them to another board. When can I apply for a score transfer?

A. Scores cannot be transferred until all score information has been imported into our database. Scores are usually available to transfer 2-4 weeks after you have received your official score letter from the NBVME (note that these letters may be forwarded to you by your state board). Transfer requests made before scores are released will be placed on hold until scores are available.
*Please note: Application deadlines and national exam administrations yield a higher volume of requests. Average wait time may be delayed during these peak times. Score transfers cannot be expedited to meet a deadline.

Q. Do I need to have my scores transferred to the state I registered with for the exam?

A. No - the state board you register with for the exam will automatically receive a copy of your scores. If you apply to send your scores to the same state where you tested, your service will be canceled and you will be offered a refund. Note that states vary in their retention times for scores – if six months have passed since your exam and you have not already submitted a license application to your state, we recommend you contact the state board directly to confirm if they need a new score report.

Q. I recently requested a score transfer and the board says they haven’t received my scores. How do I request they be resent?

A. Please check that you received a confirmation email from us indicating when the scores were originally sent. If needed, we can resend scores. Please email us at with your full name and the intended recipient board.

Q. How should I fill out the application if I do not have a Social Security Number?

 A. If you do not have a Social Security Number, you may enter “000” – please include a note under the “special notes” section of the first page to let us know you do not have a SSN.

Q. I don’t know my license number/license issue dates. What do I put on my application?

A. Please provide information in your application to the best of your ability. If you are not sure of your license number, please list the state and write “unknown” in the credential number box.   

Q. Can I send my scores to an employer, recruiter or an agency aside from a veterinary regulatory board?

A. AAVSB only sends scores directly to state/provincial veterinary regulatory boards.  AAVSB does NOT send scores to other entities.

Q. What education information do I need to include in my application?

A. Only your vet school needs to be included in your application. Internships and residencies are not required.

Q. I made a mistake on my application and need to change it. What do I do?

A. Please email us at with the change(s) you need made to your application.

Q. What is included in my score report? Do you send license verifications with my scores?

A. Score reports include your current name and address, national exam scores, and a brief report of your licenses and any disciplinary action that has been reported to AAVSB. This report is to inform the board of where you have been licensed, and does NOT substitute for a license verification. To obtain a license verification (also known as a “letter of good standing”), you may contact that board directly, or sign up for a credentials service through AAVSB.

Q. Who do I contact if I have additional questions?

                A. Please contact us at

Back to top


Q. How long do credentials services take?

A. Credentials services take approximately 5-7 weeks after we have received all necessary documentation from you. Please note that incomplete applications will delay your service. This service cannot be expedited.

Q. What is the difference between a credentials registration and a credentials update?

A. You must complete the credentials registration before applying for a credentials update. The primary difference is the discounted price for the update. The credentials update performs the same functions as the registration, so it will still take the approximate 5-7 weeks to process. Each update procures new, up-to-date license verifications and transcripts; AAVSB will not send outdated information that may already exist in your file. You will still need to submit an up-to-date Affidavit for Release of Information before your service is started. 

Q. What do I need to submit for my service?

                A. You need to submit the following before your service can be initialized:

  1. A Credentials Application (visit the Credentials page to complete an application)
  2. A notarized, signed, and completed Affidavit for Release of Information.
  3. A notarized or certified copy of your birth certificate OR a notarized copy of your passport.
  4. A notarized document of any name change, if it applies (such as a marriage license or divorce decree).

Documents 2-4 should be mailed to AAVSB at the address below. We do not accept faxed copies.

AAVSB Credentials Service
380 W. 22nd St.
Suite 101
Kansas City, MO 64108

Q. What is/isn’t included in this service?

A. Credentials include collection of North American AVMA accredited vet school transcripts (or PAVE or ECFVG certificate, if it applies), license verifications, and a national exam score report.

Credentials do NOT include collection of diplomas, foreign/unaccredited vet school transcripts, license verifications outside of the US/Canada, or any outstanding fees required prior to requesting transcripts or license verifications (such as late renewal fees).

Q. What do I need to do to get licensed in my state?

A. It is ultimately your responsibility to fulfill your board’s requirements for licensure. The credentials service may not meet all requirements. Contact your state board directly to confirm what is needed.

Q. How are my documents sent?

A. Some state boards require documents to come directly from the source institutions, whereas other boards request all information to be prepared by AAVSB and sent once complete. We will send/transfer documents to the recipient board in the method they require.

Q. I received a deficiency letter from my board saying some documents are missing.  What does this mean?

A. State boards vary in terms of how often they inform applicants of lacking documents (if at all). This is typically a courtesy notice to inform you of what they have received so far, and what they are still waiting to receive. This can be confusing to applicants who have applied to a state that requests documents come from the source, as those documents come in one at a time. State boards are informed to notify AAVSB if they have any questions about the receipt of any documents. If seven weeks have elapsed since the date of your application and the recipient board is still lacking documents forwarded by AAVSB, please email us at

Q. What should I know about Missouri, Connecticut, and California?

A. Missouri, Connecticut, and California each have special requirements that require additional involvement from you. If you have ever been licensed in any of these states, you will receive an email with further instructions as needed.

Missouri: Missouri requires requests for license verifications to come directly from the applicant. You will need to submit a letter or email to the Missouri board indicating you need a license verification. You will be emailed an example to use after your credentials service has been initialized.

Connecticut: Connecticut requires you to submit their personal release of information to obtain a license verification. You will be emailed this release after your credentials service has been initialized.

California: California requires veterinarians to maintain up-to-date addresses with their board. If it has been over 30 days since your address changed, they may issue a fee of $25. This fee is NOT covered by your credentials service. If AAVSB receives notification that your address needs to be updated, you will receive an email with the address change form. If you believe your address for California may be out of date and you wish to update it ahead of time, you may download the form from California’s website at

Q. I attended a foreign school. Why isn’t my transcript included?

A. Due to the extended processing time required for obtaining foreign transcripts, they are not included in the credential service. If you are unsure if your board requires foreign transcripts, please contact them directly to see if they have additional requirements associated with a foreign transcript.

Q. I have a license outside of the US/Canada. Why isn’t my license verification included?

A. Due to the extended processing time required for obtaining foreign license verifications, they are not included in the credential service. Since there is no international standard for veterinary licensure, licenses in foreign countries can be difficult for domestic boards to evaluate. To see if  you need to obtain these verifications, please contact the board where you are applying. If you have questions about how to obtain a foreign license verification, please contact that country’s veterinary regulatory agency.

Q. Who do I contact if I have additional questions?

                A. Please contact us at

Back to top

CA NAVLE eligibility

Q. How do I apply to take the NAVLE through California?

A. You need to apply to take the exam itself through the NBVME, and you need to apply for eligibility to take the exam through AAVSB. To apply for eligibility, complete the online application on our NAVLE Eligibility for California page.

Q. How do I know if I’m eligible?

A. Eligibility information is available on the NBVME website. Note that ECFVG candidates must have completed the program to be eligible through California. If you have not completed the ECFVG program, you will need to apply for eligibility through another state.

Q. Where is the eligibility application? When is posted?

A. The eligibility application will be posted on the NAVLE Eligibility for California page, but only during the application window. The application window for Fall NAVLE examinees is during the month of July, and the window for Spring NAVLE examinees is during the month of December. Our applications coincide with the NBVME; deadlines are usually around August 1st for Fall candidates, and January 3rd for Spring candidates. Deadlines are subject to change and it is your responsibility to submit your application on time.

Q. If I register for eligibility through California, do I have to take the exam in that state?

A. No. The state board through which you apply for NAVLE approval (your agency of application) should be the board where you intend to apply for licensure to practice veterinary medicine. When scores are available for a testing window, that board (in this case, California) will automatically receive a copy of your NAVLE Score Report.

Q. Where can I take the exam?

A. The NAVLE is given at testing centers operated by Prometric. There are about 300 centers in North America. Look for sites listed for the "National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners" and then select "NAVLE" or "NAVLF (French version)." The NAVLE is offered at Prometric centers in the US, Puerto Rico, Guam, the US Virgin Islands, and in Canada. The NAVLE is also offered at selected testing centers overseas, including sites in countries throughout Europe, Latin America, Asia, the Middle East, and Africa, and also at Prometric testing centers in China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Thailand and Taiwan.  Additional information on testing locations can be found on the NBVME’s NAVLE Information and Application page, and on the Prometric website.

Q. What do I need to send in to get my eligibility approved? How does my school affect what I send to AAVSB?

A. When you use the online application, you will be asked to choose a category based on your veterinary education. You will need to submit the information described in that category (if any).
Students and graduates of schools accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA):
Senior student at the University of California Davis or Western University Pomona:
AAVSB will verify your enrollment status and expected graduation date using a roster obtained from the Registrar’s office. No additional documents are needed for eligibility.
Senior student at another AVMA accredited veterinary school: you must request a letter from your Registrar’s office on the school letterhead be sent directly to AAVSB indicating your expected graduation date. See AAVSB’s address below.
Graduate of an AVMA accredited veterinary school: you must request an official transcript be sent directly from the school to AAVSB (see address below). Transcripts must show proof of degree.

Students and graduates of schools not accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA):
Participants in the Program for the Assessment of Veterinary Education Equivalence (PAVE):
AAVSB will verify enrollment in the program. Applicants must have completed at least Step Three of the PAVE program. No additional documents are needed for eligibility. For more information, visit our PAVE page.
Participants in the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) program: you must request a copy of your ECFVG program certificate be sent to AAVSB (address below). Applicants must have completed the entire ECFVG program. Applicants currently enrolled in the program are not eligible to take the NAVLE through California. To apply to another state, visit the NBVME website. Graduates of non-accredited veterinary programs outside the US and Canada must also request an official transcript and diploma be sent directly from the school to AAVSB. Documents must be in English or translated by a certified translation service.

Q. When will I find out if I’m approved? How will I get this information?

A. Approval letters will be sent to you via email. These approval letters are typically sent out once a week during the application window. We must receive any necessary documents prior to granting approval.

Q. What do I do if I need special accommodations to take the exam?

A. If you have a documented disability covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and require test accommodations, you must submit a request form and medical documentation to substantiate the request. The form for candidates applying through California is available on the CA NAVLE Eligibility Review page. Requests for ADA accommodations must be received no later than the posted application deadline date. Please allow ample time for AAVSB to approve your accommodations request – late applications will not be granted special accommodations.

Q. When will my scores be sent to me? What do I receive?

A. Official score letters will be mailed to you once scores are released by the NBVME. Note that the address listed on your exam application is where we will send the score. Score letters will show your name, candidate ID number, test date, score, and pass/fail. If you fail the exam, you will also be provided with a diagnostic report. A link to pass/fail results will also be posted by candidate ID number on the CA NAVLE Eligibility Review page.
*Please note: Scores will not be released over the phone or sent to you by email.

Q.  I registered to take the NAVLE through California. How do I get my California license?

A. California requires licensees pass a state exam in addition to the NAVLE. Please note that AAVSB does not administer licenses for the California board. For information about their state exam and other requirements, please contact them directly or visit the California board website.

Q. I have questions about the exam that aren’t listed here. Where can I find them?

A. You may try checking the NBVME’s Frequently Asked Questions page found here. If you have other questions about the exam itself, please contact the NBVME directly.

Q. Who do I contact if I have additional questions?

                A. Please contact us at

Back to top