Board Basics & Beyond is an interactive training session designed with the new board member, executive director, board staff, or attorney in mind. Participants acquire knowledge and skills necessary to excel in their regulatory role. This workshop is ideal for individuals new to their position or those wishing to learn more about being a regulator.
April 14-15, 2023
Kansas City, Missouri
The Member Board investment is $250 USD per person.
Registration is closed. Contact Lainie Franklin , Member Services Concierge, with questions.
By attending Board Basics & Beyond, you'll walk away with a better understanding of the following:
- The Role of the AAVSB in supporting and advancing the regulatory process for veterinary medicine
- Terminology: The Importance of Language
- Practice Act Models
- Basic Board Operations
- Board Authority, Delegation, & Conflict of Interest
- Enforcement, Discipline & Sanctions
- Outreach & Social Media
- Protecting the Board & Staff through Immunity
By attending Board Basics & Beyond, the following questions will be addressed:
- Is everyone a public member?
- What is the definition of a veterinarian?
- Does 'shall' mean 'may'?
- What constitutes a quorum?
- How/Who determines what education is necessary for licensure?
- What is a conflict of interest? Why is it important?
- Can the Board/Council delegate authority to another entity?
- What are the grounds for discipline?
- Does the Board/Council have immunity? Are there different kinds?
- Is there data that is reported to the Board/Council at every meeting?